Devon died of heart attack
The trinidad Guardian / The autopsy was conducted at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital’s mortuary and the report was signed off by Dr Sherrise Sandy for Dr Shaheeba Barrow.

The autopsy showed one of Matthews’ arteries in his heart was "totally blocked off" and the other was "almost blocked off," meaning he would have suffered from coronary heart disease.

Asked if there were any signs that Matthews could have been on any kind of pills, a medical source at the hospital said: "It only shows that he had high cholesterol over the years and it went unnoticed."

The death certificate gave the cause of death as "Acute Myocardial Infarction, Ischaemic Heart Disease, Coronary Artery Disease Atherosclerosis."

Yesterday, the T&T Guardian was told about two weeks ago, Matthews, 36, began having respiratory issues and burning in the chest. He subsequently visited a doctor, did several tests and was diagnosed with acid reflux. As a result, he was prescribed Zantac and was said to be taking the prescription up until the day he died.

Zantac is a medication used to treat certain stomach and throat (esophagus) problems (such as erosive esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease-GERD, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). It is also used to prevent and treat heartburn and other symptoms caused by too much acid in the stomach (acid indigestion).

The T&T Guardian was told only a toxicology report could give more details of what was in the blood, but such a report was not requested by Matthews’ family and there was also no reason to suspect foul play. The medical source said if such a report is requested the tissue samples would have to be sent to the Forensic Science Centre and the results would be sent back to the Port-of-Spain mortuary in several months’ to a year time.

Yesterday at RED 96.7FM, the entire station was in sombre mood, according to Matthews’ former boss, Citadel Radio Network president Tony Lee.

"The Red team members are yet to understand the loss, what they are dealing with is the reaction of the sudden death. The depth of the death will be felt in a week’s time when everyone will realise that Devon is not physically here any more," Lee said.

Lee described Matthews as an individual who was very responsible and attentive.

"He always looked to do something differently. He blossomed here from when he started 12 years ago, from the foundation of the radio station."

DJ Kevon Daly held down the fort for Matthews’ shift from 12 noon to 3 pm yesterday. Daly opened the show telling the listening audience that it was one of his hardest days on radio. He said described Matthews’ passing as a sad time for them at the station.

"We are trying our best not to be sad and Devon would say ‘No kill joy,’ so that’s what we intend to do here today, we will try to stand by that," Daly said.

He even invited soca artistes to stop by throughout the day to pay their respects to "a brother, friend and colleague."

Matthews passed away early Sunday morning, after collapsing backstage at Tribe’s "Festival of the Bands" at St Mary’s College Grounds, St Clair, after his stage performance. He was rushed to St. Clair Medical Centre, where he was pronounced dead.

Matthews placed third in this year’s Soca Monarch Finals with one of the season’s favourites, "D’ Journey (Make It)," featuring Ella Andall.

Funeral arrangements are yet to be finalised.

Devon died of heart attack

Con Información de The trinidad Guardian

Síguenos en Twitter @entornoi

También te puede interesar